Paint and pain can be moved, pushed beyond boundaries, crushed into other paint, smudged and splashed. Pretty much like human emotions- isn’t it? Recently I started the journey of moving paint in my abstract visual journals in order to see how processing mental and emotional states of mind can be done this way. Can your emotions be pushed beyond boundaries just to be blended with contrasting one in seconds later? Sounds like a familiar state of mind? Sounds like a moving paint process…
What is an act of creating? How would you define it? Beyond the concept of art, on general perspective, act of creation is making things happen, making something from something else, making choice what and how to create. There is not a single act of creativity without freedom. Freedom is streaming through creativity like its constant companion and condition for things to happen. We need to feel free to choose what and how to create to have the sense of creativity being worth an effort. We need freedom to create and be free to create truly-that strong however simple realisation came to my mind recently after delivering expressive arts therapeutic session to dementia patients.
What is contained in our journals, personal diaries and books? What happens when instead of just words we start using a magic of visual language- the language above all spoken languages and the one of the most intense communication. What happens is the Inner Story being told on pages of the journals, images and colours and textures pouring out from the pages of the books. I am inviting you to explore it...This offer is specially designed to people wondering about art/visual journaling and those who would love to explore expressive techniques. This programme is based on one to one session and we agree the cost before the start depending on individual circumstances. Curious? Get in touch!
From Marta the programme's participant: " Meetings with Honorata also have a therapeutic aspect. Art journaling opens your head, sensitivity and creativity. Even after the end of the class I could not get away from creating new pages in my journal. It's like your artistic diary. With mixed techniques, you can document what you have in your head at the moment. It cleans your mind and is very relaxing."
I have never had the feel for planning, setting goals, over planning, hitting targets. Despite the fact that I can throw myself into creating like a mad person without limits and forgetting about eating I still could never been a "planner". Recently I came across an article that used visual and art metaphor for a different approach to how our mind function with future planning, when we employ rather "now" approach that has nothing to do with hitting targets. And that was a realisation for me that actually approaching life like I approach a painting at many occasions can work quite wonders! So again art is teaching me life...because as Socrates said "I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance!"
Why do we must create? I do not know but what I know is that I mentally die if I ban myself from creating. It is like breathing for some- the necessary force of lifehood. Creativity is here for me and more I am involved in it more I become aware that it defines my life. It is not like interesting hobby, or maybe joyful evenings activity. It is not "oh nice you paint in your spare time" scenario. I have no spare time actually. I have no time to loose, waste, or spend on meaningless activities of life that are pulling me away from the core of life- ART.
Create with me….Create from your own creative source...
- I run local courses for therapeutic use of expressive arts in Northamptonshire through Learn2b programme (Northamptonshire County Council Adult Learning programme)-those courses are free of charge and require self-referral- please visit Learn2b website for more details- Click HERE.
- Workshops in person-the latest “Soulful Expression” is now fully booked- please email me if you interested in future adventures.
- Online programmes: visit my You Tube channel “Artlysing” for free videos and inspirational clips.
- I also volunteer at local Mind-the mental health charity where we transform art studio into creative and healing space.
Examples of courses and sessions:
- Positive Me-Art- emphasis on emotional wellbeing through creation of recycled cards, sensory exploration of colour, texture and pattern, work with words and images combinations.
- Jigsaw of life- visual journal work built around subject of life changes and transitions- images, collage, mandalas and mandorlas.
- Future Me- vision boards as exploration of self. Introduction to visual mind mapping concept too.
- The book of Me-6 weeks mental health programme with altering a children's book. Variety of techniques and creative adventures including mandorlas, collage, working from subconscious, painting, blind drawing.
- Intuitive Abstracts for healing-3weeks course with introduction to intuitive approach in paintings with layers.
- Soulful Expression- expressive exploration of creative voice, re-discovery of natural creativity- special one for those who say are not creative!
- Art Medicine- collection of therapeutic, creative techniques designed to use visual creative arts as healing practice. Includes watercolour expressive abstracts, mandalas, collage, doodling as meditation practice.
- Before and After- 6 weeks programme of working in a personal diary built around processing and reflection of personal grief.
It is almost 2 years since I put the concept of "artlysing"in the form of a blog. "Artlysing" built from two words "art" and "lysing" where the last one comes from "analysing". So it refers to seeing, understanding (or maybe rather the mere attempt of it) life, ourselves through the lenses of art. How art can become the communicator to its own creator? How the roles are somehow reversed? I truly believe that expressive arts have a capacity to take us on this unbelievable journey, to the land where subconscious can be manifested, unknown declared and process of creating becoming profound time of humanity going beyond its own limitations. When we create we can just open up and listen...listen to your own art instead of dictating it what it meant to be...Then the magic happens...
Art is a tool that can be used in therapeutic setting for vast reasons and in numerous ways. From typical art therapy to more expressive forms of therapeutic arts including a group work. However more awareness there is about healing qualities of creativity and arts more questions are emerging. Lots of people have the vision of healing art's quality in a form of simple escapism. Getting lost in drawing or paintng and in result drifting away from painful problems. Simple and effective like a mental painkiller, providing temporary but instant result. There is much more in power of creative arts and the way it can connect with human being. People have been creating from beginning of humanity not just to create a bubble zone of mental distraction...Art talks to people on a different level, somewhere from nowhere and everywhere at the same time. However it is the magical process that requires the will of creator to open up and happen...
Creativity comes and goes...the muse never really belongs to us for long periods of time. However we keep creating and asking for her, if no response we shout and wait...And we wait and wait as her asbsence is prolonged. After quite few conversations with various artist I noticed that we know so little about the period of let's call it "quiet creativity". Those moments that some call tortures, other just lack of inspiration. But if we just look at that from a different angle we can actually start kind of enjoying those less or zero productivity moments... The first and simple rule is "stop comparing with others"!
As creativity gradually shifted me from work in a solitude mode (that I still love) more towards work with people I noticed that some stories are being told many times. Many people find themselves and their creativity in the moment of life when they search for..themselves. Like years of playing role of not fully aligned with their inner desire, they got tired of it and looked for lost treasure of creativity to bring the core aliveness back to them. We not talking only about people experiencing existential crisis of middle age, nearly retired or those with empty nest syndrom. Yes them to,o but also a big chunk of people from diverse environments, age groups, life situations and beliefs that suddenly stopped, turned their head back and asked- why and how do I find myself again? So they had opened to possibilities of self-creativity in order to find the lost authenticity regardless how long ago it seemed to be missing from. However as they embarked the intensive search for themselves to fully find the true self, they have to loose the ego of self...The paradox of true creativity!