What I have learnt from art is jumping higher every time the obstacle comes my way. It is like building resilience in personal life, boosting your inner immune system to be able to deal with anything that life throws at you. Let start from beginning of this journey to show you how “I cannot” been converted to “And what next?”
Art journaling, visual journaling or simply personal, creative diary- many names but also many people who can confirm that that form of art has a massive healing capability. Books are and have been the personal thoughts collectors for centuries. From written forms to more expressive ones- journal is always the trusted companion. Gradually my art journaling practice took me on this journey as discovered more and more that it can heal, reveal, tell me so much that is beyond possibility of expressing with words. Inspired by work with others and guiding them on this self-discovery journey I decided to release new series on You Tube channel. After the initial “Subconscious collage” followed by “Behind the journals” series this time I am taking a plunge into a strongly therapeutic aspect of visual journaling. Join me!
I did lots of work with expressive way of art journaling, abstracts and pure colours combinations. Work that mainly depends on intuitive way of working without preparations referring to subject matter either without final picture in mind. All that led me to further understanding and discovering how powerful tool art may become in our hands and minds at the same time. Purely expressive and therapeutic aspect is just a beautiful stream of exploration what we may find more challenging to discover in direct way. However recently thanks to return to the traditional form and medium which is pencil drawing I have found unexpectedly a new avenue of expression: using representational type of art for deeper exploration of human connection with the object and actually going beyond the object itself...
Paint and pain can be moved, pushed beyond boundaries, crushed into other paint, smudged and splashed. Pretty much like human emotions- isn’t it? Recently I started the journey of moving paint in my abstract visual journals in order to see how processing mental and emotional states of mind can be done this way. Can your emotions be pushed beyond boundaries just to be blended with contrasting one in seconds later? Sounds like a familiar state of mind? Sounds like a moving paint process…
What is contained in our journals, personal diaries and books? What happens when instead of just words we start using a magic of visual language- the language above all spoken languages and the one of the most intense communication. What happens is the Inner Story being told on pages of the journals, images and colours and textures pouring out from the pages of the books. I am inviting you to explore it...This offer is specially designed to people wondering about art/visual journaling and those who would love to explore expressive techniques. This programme is based on one to one session and we agree the cost before the start depending on individual circumstances. Curious? Get in touch!
From Marta the programme's participant: " Meetings with Honorata also have a therapeutic aspect. Art journaling opens your head, sensitivity and creativity. Even after the end of the class I could not get away from creating new pages in my journal. It's like your artistic diary. With mixed techniques, you can document what you have in your head at the moment. It cleans your mind and is very relaxing."
I have never had the feel for planning, setting goals, over planning, hitting targets. Despite the fact that I can throw myself into creating like a mad person without limits and forgetting about eating I still could never been a "planner". Recently I came across an article that used visual and art metaphor for a different approach to how our mind function with future planning, when we employ rather "now" approach that has nothing to do with hitting targets. And that was a realisation for me that actually approaching life like I approach a painting at many occasions can work quite wonders! So again art is teaching me life...because as Socrates said "I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance!"
Our daily life, what is here on the surface is only a mere part of the whole …The big chunk of our thoughts and mind functions is hidden in subconscious part.
Subconscious part-the one we rarely dig in, deep container of desires, fears and psychological patterns as well as beliefs is the hardest part to access when we are tangled in tasks of mundane life, pulled towards pointless conversations or trying to be the helper of the world.
Create with me….Create from your own creative source...
- I run local courses for therapeutic use of expressive arts in Northamptonshire through Learn2b programme (Northamptonshire County Council Adult Learning programme)-those courses are free of charge and require self-referral- please visit Learn2b website for more details- Click HERE.
- Workshops in person-the latest “Soulful Expression” is now fully booked- please email me if you interested in future adventures.
- Online programmes: visit my You Tube channel “Artlysing” for free videos and inspirational clips.
- I also volunteer at local Mind-the mental health charity where we transform art studio into creative and healing space.
Examples of courses and sessions:
- Positive Me-Art- emphasis on emotional wellbeing through creation of recycled cards, sensory exploration of colour, texture and pattern, work with words and images combinations.
- Jigsaw of life- visual journal work built around subject of life changes and transitions- images, collage, mandalas and mandorlas.
- Future Me- vision boards as exploration of self. Introduction to visual mind mapping concept too.
- The book of Me-6 weeks mental health programme with altering a children's book. Variety of techniques and creative adventures including mandorlas, collage, working from subconscious, painting, blind drawing.
- Intuitive Abstracts for healing-3weeks course with introduction to intuitive approach in paintings with layers.
- Soulful Expression- expressive exploration of creative voice, re-discovery of natural creativity- special one for those who say are not creative!
- Art Medicine- collection of therapeutic, creative techniques designed to use visual creative arts as healing practice. Includes watercolour expressive abstracts, mandalas, collage, doodling as meditation practice.
- Before and After- 6 weeks programme of working in a personal diary built around processing and reflection of personal grief.
Episode 3 of "Therapeutic visual journaling" takes on the journey of unfolding- once we open up to creativity and make first marks we are faced with...well let's say "reality of our own creativity". We start seeing first attempts of images, first layers, things are emerging and we do not always like what we see. This is the moment that many can decide to give up and do not continue, others will be faced with disappointment or just frustration. In visual journaling this is the initial stage, the first layer that despite how much it seems be difficult, in the end is rarely visible - still though very crucial to the process. It is the catalisator, an initiator, the kick that we need to accept and move on...
It is almost 2 years since I put the concept of "artlysing"in the form of a blog. "Artlysing" built from two words "art" and "lysing" where the last one comes from "analysing". So it refers to seeing, understanding (or maybe rather the mere attempt of it) life, ourselves through the lenses of art. How art can become the communicator to its own creator? How the roles are somehow reversed? I truly believe that expressive arts have a capacity to take us on this unbelievable journey, to the land where subconscious can be manifested, unknown declared and process of creating becoming profound time of humanity going beyond its own limitations. When we create we can just open up and listen...listen to your own art instead of dictating it what it meant to be...Then the magic happens...